Saturday, February 1, 2014

What to buy, and when to buy it.

(Fully aware how improper the straps/clip are in this pic. I've learned some things.)

What I'm about to write about will not apply to most people. Everyone has different needs and financial situations. This is just something I've been thinking about, and what we should have done when planning for Noah. We've found ourselves with an abundance of things we don't need, and we still don't have a high chair. He's 8 months old, for god's sake. Also, I understand a lot of people have baby showers and that they often get expensive gifts at them. Feel free to use this more as a guide for what to make sure is set up and when to set it up by. Or disregard the entire article as trash.

I don't believe in buying anything before you're 20 weeks along. I'm superstitious. Whatever.

5 months pregnant: Infant car seat/stroller/travel system

The car seat is the absolute first expensive item you'll need. I recommend having an infant carrier first, then transitioning to the convertible car seat if this is your first child. It is so easy to go from inside, to car, to inside somewhere else, to back in the car, then back home if you don't have to keep waking your itty, bitty, newborn every single time you get in or out of the car. However, if you have a bunch of children, its not practical to carry this everywhere if you have other little hands to hold. In that case I would baby wear. Also, the stroller is important for some people. I have used mine less than 10 times. Noah hates his stroller.

6 months pregnant: Bassinet/cradle and bedding

This is the second thing you'll need. Baby's gotta sleep somewhere, and you'll have to put your baby down, eventually. Your baby might disagree.

7 months pregnant: Breast pump and accessories

I didn't think I would need this until I went back to work. Then I experienced what engorgement was. Pumping was my new favorite hobby the week after Noah was born. Also, pumping can jump start labor. I didn't try it, but apparently that's a real thing for desperate, full term, pregnant women.

8 months pregnant: Rocking chair and infant swing

If your baby comes early, these aren't absolutely necessary items. However, they are incredibly convenient and can help you drastically those first few months. This is why I placed them at Month 8.

2 months postpartum: Pack 'n Play

What? Nothing for your first month?! No. Because the last thing you'll be thinking about the first 4 weeks is what you want to buy next. Therefore, we skip to the Pack 'n Play. We actually needed this right away, as a means to keep our dogs from the baby. I feel like most couples don't need this right away. I came to appreciate it more when he started rolling around.

3 months postpartum: Crib and bedding

Remember? You've been using the cradle for the first few months. Although it seems necessary, it definitely isn't while your baby is a newborn. Ours was used for decoration until Noah was 5 months old. Whatever you do, try to make a sleep schedule around 3 months old. This is my biggest regret. Get the crib and use it! Jesus Christ, save yourselves.

4 months postpartum: Convertible car seat

Most babies will fit in their infant carrier way past 4 months old. Ours didn't.

5 months postpartum: High chair and feeding accessories

We didn't start feeding him food until he was 6 months old, so if you get this at 5 months old, you'll be prepared.

6 months postpartum: Play yard

You might need this sooner, especially if you can play outside with your baby. Ours is currently in our living room, because this kid can crawl like a maniac. We're looking forward to using it outside in the summer for him, too. He loves the outdoors!

I hope this is helpful for someone. I really just wanted to get this off my chest. Advice: Any month that you already have that item, spend the $200 or so on just a crap ton (haha) of diapers. Additionally, I'm a big advocate of hand-me-downs and shopping second hand shops, except in the case of car seats. Always get those brand new.

Babies don't have to be expensive.

<3 Kristin

8 comments:

Debbie said...

Hindsight is 20/20. I do agree that there are many items one does not need. The stroller can come in handy at the store if you go to the mall, it will save your shoulder. And the stroller rides when they are young is great for the Mom too. Remember when we took Noah out? And yes, second hand can be great. And don't forget about the Sound Machine! Glad you blogged again :)

Logan said...

I am six months pregnant with our first... this timeline is so helpful. Thank you! (And YAY for secondhand stores and hand-me-downs!!!)

Anonymous said...

My only concern is buying the crib so late. New furniture is known to offgas toxic chemicals, such as formaldehyde. Buying the crib, putting it together early, and leaving it in a well-ventilated area (considering getting houseplants for the baby's room) for six months or so will help those fumes dissipate before your baby will be breathing them in.

raisinglittledragonslayers said...

This is a great idea--budgeting to buy bigger items as you need them. I was definitely the sort who bought everything ahead of time--fortunately, I stuck to the basics, so we ended up using all of it!

As a mother to an almost-three-year-old and nine-month-old, I wanted to recommend newer Graco Pack 'n' Plays that come with a bassinet attachment, so you can skip buying the cradle/bassinet altogether! We LOVE our Pack 'n' Plays! We have two--the nice one we bought new, which both our kids slept in when we first brought them home, and an older used one we bought as a crib-replacement for traveling (airline baggage handlers are not very gentle!). Our second slept in the bassinet attachment for several weeks, and then on the floor of the Pack 'n' Play until he was four months (when we moved from a small apartment to a house where he finally had his own room). Now we have both Pack 'n' Plays set up, in different rooms, to give me a place to put him down where he can stay contained and out of trouble!

I would also add an Exercaucer to your list--maybe instead of the bassinet/cradle, since we did without that. That thing has been a lifesaver with both kids! We started using it at about four months, and both kids have spent endless hours in it while I do dishes, fold laundry, go to the bathroom, etc. I think I would have gone insane without it!

raisinglittledragonslayers said...

*Exersaucer, not Exercaucer....oops. :-)

Also, forgive me for plugging my own blog, but I recently wrote this post: Buying baby's wardrobe: What you need (and what you don't). Perhaps some of your readers will find it helpful as well! When I was pregnant with my first, I so appreciated tips from other moms on what I'd really need, and what I could skip!

By the way, thank you to you and your husband for the sacrifices you make in service to our country. My dad's been in the Air Force my whole life, and I know military living is a thing of daily sacrifice. I'm sure your husband is LOVING being home with you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Purchasing a pack and play with a bassinet in it saves the need for a cradle. My 7 weeker sleeps in his next to our bed, and then it's great while visiting family out of town. Or, if you want a cradle, a pack and play seems pointless. I had a cradle for my 10 year old, no pack amd play. Take the money from one and buy an exersaucer. My 10 year old loved his and I wouldn't have gotten anything done with out it!

Kristin M Fry said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Great idea about getting an updated pack n play that has the changing table on it. Clearly, I got mine secondhand. Either its incredibly old or someone took that part off to keep it before they sold the rest :) Also, take note of the comment about the chemicals on the cribs. Again, mine was secondhand, so I had no idea this was an issue! Keep the comments coming! Collaboration is wonderful with such an experience-based article! I love you all, and the support is overwhelming <3

Kristin said...

This is a great time table.

As a mom of 5, I third buying the pack and play with the bassinet and changing table accessories and skipping the cradle - unless you really want a cradle. If it wasn't for aesthetics, I'd even skip the crib in favor of the pack and play. It's obviously one of my absolute favorite baby items.

A stroller is definitely something that you don't know if you'll actually use until you do. I use mine almost daily but I know a lot of moms who only used theirs once or twice.